If you have been exposed to conditions or substances that caused you to suffer from dermatitis or any other form of skin disease you may be entitled to seek compensation.

Dermatitis means “inflammation of the skin” and is a term used to describe many different skin conditions. Dermatitis is probably more commonly known as eczema and the two most common types are irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis.

Eczema or dermatitis is a common childhood condition which often vanishes by the time a person reaches adulthood. However, in some cases people can suffer with eczema or dermatitis for their whole life.

If you only develop eczema or dermatitis later on in life or if your condition gets significantly worse later in life then it may have been caused by your occupation or working conditions.

What is work-related dermatitis?

Conditions within work places have been known to cause dermatitis and make a person’s condition worse who already suffers from dermatitis or eczema.

For example, someone who comes into contact with chemical enzymes at work without proper protective clothing may go onto develop dermatitis or eczema on the exposed body parts such as the face and hands.

Common causes of dermatitis include coolants, oils, dyes, plants and fungi as well as frequent contact with water. The professional people thought to be most at risk of contracting work related dermatitis include kitchen workers, hospital staff, manufacturing or factory worker, hairdressers, cleaners, printers and engineers.

How is eczema and dermatitis treated?

There are many ointments and creams including steroid creams that are available on prescription.

A person suffering from eczema or dermatitis should take measures to minimise their symptoms to include :

  • Taking showers instead of baths
  • Patting dry skin with a towel rather than rubbing it
  • Avoid using perfumed soaps and cosmetics
  • Avoid contact with any irritants or allergens which causes your dermatitis to flare up

How should my employer protect me from skin disease?

If you are working with hazardous substances at work your employer is already aware of the harm these substances can cause you. Your employer should carry out a risk assessment as regards the risks that these substances pose to you and ensure that proper safety systems are in place to reduce the risk of injury to employees.

Your employer should arrange for you to have the minimal amount of contact with the substance by using splash guards or extractors and by ensuring that you have the most up to date safety equipment and protective clothing such as gloves or overalls which prevent the substances coming into contact with your skin should be provided at all times.

If you have been negligently exposed to dangerous substances at work and have suffered injury you could be entitled to claim for compensation. Please free to download the attached online personal injury claim form and submit it to our firm and we will contact you with advice about the next steps needed to progress your claim.

Download the following Instruction Sheet and return it us:


Had an Accident? Fill in our online Accident Form and get an answer within 24 hours.

*In contentious Business a Solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.*